Saturday, February 08, 2014

An Open Letter to my Sons

My Sons - Marshall and Christopher

February 8, 2014

Dear Marshall and Christopher,

I just attended the memorial service for a colleague - a young man who was just a year older than you, Chris. And his name was also, Chris. I’ve worked with Chris Nikolich for a few years, and he always had a great big smile, he had an amazing sense of humor and he always had a positive attitude and upbeat spirit. I had no idea that he had long been suffering from depression, and like many who end up in that kind of place, he covered his sadness well. His death, at his own hands, came as such a shock to those of use who worked with him, and it has made me extremely sad. I had been working with him on a project over the past few weeks, and I never guessed that there was anything wrong, that he was going through anything difficult at all. I talked to him the Thursday before he died, and we laughed and he seemed in good spirits.

As I sat in the service today, surrounded by so many of my co-workers, I couldn’t help but think of his mother, and what anguish she must be feeling. And it made me think of the two of you, and how broken hearted I would be, if I ever had to deal with something like this. I’ve been through depression before, and I know how those feelings of wanting to end the pain and suffering can be. And the thoughts of how easy it would be – to just stop that pain, and no longer suffer. When I was at my deepest spot, my lowest moment, I thought of the two of you – and how it would affect your lives – at 8 and 3 years old. And I knew that I couldn’t leave you. That I couldn’t do that to you, and that I would have to pull myself up, and work through that moment. And I did. And I can’t tell you how many times, over these past years, that I have been so grateful, that I had the two of you in my life, and that you ‘saved’ me – just by being who you were, and by being so important to my life – and by keeping me from going down that terrible road.

The service today was at Anona UMC, a church that your father served, and where you were members for a time. Marshall, you were active in the youth group at that church. The Pastor, Dr. Jack Stephenson, said something this morning that I wanted to share with you. He talked about suicide, and about how we don’t know what another person is struggling with. He said to all of us – if we were every struggling – to ‘live through your valleys’. 

I like that – ‘live through your valleys’ - and I wanted to share with that with you. If you are ever in a sad, dark place, and you don’t think you can bear another day, I just ask that you take a moment, and remember your mother, who would be devastated to lose you. Remember all of the others who love and care for you – your family and friends. And remember that where there are valleys, there are hills and mountains. And if you can make it through the darkness of the valley, there will, somewhere in your future, also be a mountaintop that you can see the world from, in a brighter, happier place.

You are both such amazing young men, and I am so proud of who you have become. I can’t imagine a world without you – and so I just wanted to make sure that you knew that I was here for you – always. If you are ever in a dark spot, and need to talk, and need me to help you through something – I am here for you. No matter what time of day. No matter where I am. I will be there for you. So, please, don’t ever hesitate to reach out to me - to share your sadness, or fear, or worries, or disappointments. That is why I am here.

I love you both so much. Please always remember that.

Peace and Love,

Mom

In honor of Chris Nikolich

No comments: