Saturday, November 24, 2007

Happy Birthday, Dad!











Through my entire life I've been fortunate to have had parents who exhibited a strong influence of giving ... and who always taught me that it was 'better to give than to receive'. Their kindness to others made a huge impact on me ... and the seeds that were planted by their example has prompted me to make that a lifestyle choice as well ... and continues to be something of great importance in my life.

Today, in appreciation for all that they have given to me, I honor my father - on his 86th Birthday - by giving a gift of hope to a woman in Paraguay - that we can all follow and support.

But first. The inspiration.

This week on 'Oprah' ( http://www2.oprah.com/index.jhtml ), Bill Clinton came on the show to share about his new book 'Giving'. Here's a little bit about the book (which I'm sending to my Dad as well):

"GIVING - How Each of Us Can Change the World" - by Bill Clinton
How Each of Us Can Change the World takes an inspiring look at how individual endeavors can save lives and solve problems. Through the stories of amazing people and dedicated organizations, President Clinton offers compelling examples of both citizen and corporate activism at work in the world today.

http://giving.clintonfoundation.org/about

On the show, they told about this amazing online organization, 'Kiva.org' (see link to info at bottom), that is mentioned in 'Giving'. This organization provides an opportunity to go online and make loans to people from different countries, and watch their progress as they pay back the loans. When the loan is repaid, the funds become available again, and you can choose a new person to help out. One small loan, combined with many other loans, will allow people in need to provide for their families and their futures. I loved the idea ... and appreciated the effort to join together with others - to help with some solid, much needed funds, that could really make a difference in the lives of these people.

So ... in honor of my Dad - on his 86th birthday, I have made a small loan to Elva Brizuela, a single mother in Ybycuí, Paraguay, to help her purchase supplies for her store. This loan has taken Elva to the 100% level - so that she can now receive the loan. I will receive updates on her progress, and will forward those along to Dad - so that he, too, can see how Elva is doing. To learn more about Elva, and read her story, please click on this link:
http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=businesses&action=about&id=24965
Feel free to check in often ... and offer your support, if you desire.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAD!!

Thank you for instilling in me, this great desire to give to others ... and for always giving so much of yourself to me ... and to others.

I LOVE YOU!!!
Bea